Shutdown turnaround outages (STO) and Turnarounds (TO) are a fact of life. Getting them right is tough. The numbers paint a vivid picture of the complexity of an STO: they can involve more than 40,000 separate jobs and the duration averages between 20 and 60 days, depending on the work required*.
It’s tempting to see the solution as solely an exercise in planning with a detailed “follow the manual approach” for staff and contractors.
The real problem occurs when the plan meets real time. Even the most sophisticated plan has gaps, and those gaps often involve risk. Trying to adjust in real time to the risk created from unexpected outcomes, events or delays can mean costly overruns and increased risk exposure.
Proscient, the industry’s first software platform for Operational Excellence, brings all the activity and risk into one place.
This is key. Proscient gives you the ability to visualise risk before an STO even begins. Everyone can see the big picture. By seeing how all of the tasks, hazards and risks involved – and in particular the critical path items – come together:
- Planners can better see how the entire programme of work can be delivered safely
- Front-line engineers can understand the causes and consequences of their particular tasks
- HSE can ensure that standardised risk awareness and risk-assessment practices, policies and roles are embedded across the STO
- Operators can optimise plans both prior to and during the execution phase, by proactively adjusting schedules to reprioritise work as conditions and risk change on the ground
The result? A more effective STO as Proscient builds the bridge between executing the STO plan and the operational reality.
* PDRI: Project Definition Rating Index – Industrial Projects, Implementation Resources 113-2, Third Edition, Construction Industry Institute, Austin, TX, 2008